A delicious breakfast bowl
With the holidays rapidly approaching, chances are you may be visiting with family out of town or prepping for the in-laws to come and visit. Whatever the scenario may be, we have an amazing protein-filled breakfast that is worth introducing to your whole family.
The prep time for this recipe was quite a lot, but well worth it in the end. With that said, this recipe is perfect for getting your family or friends involved in the recipe-making. Everyone will have an opportunity to build their own Harvest Breakfast Bowl and make a version that is unique to them.
Not only is this breakfast bariatric-friendly but it’s also delicious and nutritional. The colorful ingredients bring with it a satisfying holiday flavor we know everyone can enjoy. It’s both sweet and salty, with a fresh herbal aftertaste.
We threw in 1 scoop of flavorless protein powder just to give this whole recipe an extra boost of protein and we recommend our weight loss surgery community to do the same. This will help you feel fuller longer throughout your day, and help you to not overeat during the holiday season, (or whenever you make this dish)
On top of the flavorless protein powder, you can also top your breakfast bowl with additional sources of protein such as sausage, turkey bacon, and egg. Any one of these options will blend well with the other ingredients. Just keep in mind the portion sizes recommended by your surgeon.
When recreating this recipe, be sure to carefully select only the freshest ingredients from the produce aisle of your favorite supermarket. This will make a big difference in flavor in the end.
WLS Afterlife is dedicated to presenting new bariatric-friendly meals weekly so you can continue to enjoy the life you’ve worked so hard to enjoy! If you try any of our bariatric-friendly meals, be sure to tag us on social media!
Please note that we always recommend our WLS Afterlife viewers follow their doctor’s dietary guidelines, regardless of our recipe instructions. If we listed an ingredient you were told to avoid, write to us so we may provide you with plenty of other tasty alternatives.
2 sweet potatoes
½ bunch of kale
1 red bell pepper
1T avocado oil
1 cilantro bunch chopped (include stems)
1/4C lite mayo
juice of 1 Lime
1T minced garlic
1 scoop of flavorless protein
1 egg (optional)
1 strip of turkey bacon (optional)
- Chop sweet potatoes
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes
- Cut off ends and skin cucumber, then slice
- Dice red bell pepper
- Slice avocado
- Remove kale stems and slice into ribbons
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add 1T of avocado oil and heat
- Add your chopped kale
- Add 1T water
- Salt to taste
- Saute for 2-3 minutes, stir often
- In a bullet or blender, add your cilantro bunch chopped, lite mayo, lime juice, and minced garlic together.
- In a separate mixing bowl add crushed chili peppers and cinnamon to your baked sweet potatoes
- Add a splash of almond milk and blend together using an immersion blender
- Add 1 scoop of flavorless protein powder to your sweet potato bowl and blend
- Assemble your bowl, add ingredients of your choice to personal bowl
- Top with your choice of protein and enjoy