Who said you have to give up fried chicken to lose weight? Well, we set out to bust that myth by creating some finger-licking air fried chicken! If you are a novice in the kitchen, frying foods can be intimidating. Heat the oil too much and you have burnt crust and a raw center. Don’t heat it up enough and you have a soggy crust with dry meat. Luckily, the geniuses who invented air fryers took away all of the finicky temperature guidelines you have to follow by giving you an easy-to-use apparatus that evenly cooks all items you want to air fry, without using gallons of oil and the crazy amounts of calories that come with it. In our WLS Afterlife kitchen, we decided to prepare Air Fried Chicken Tenders. The end result was tasty, perfectly salty, crunchy, juicy, and delicious.
As you are going out to get the ingredients for this yummy dish, don’t overlook the flour component! We substituted all-purpose flour for coconut flour. Not only does this save you quite a bit of carbs, but it also is an excellent source of added protein and fiber, perfect to help keep you sustained and satisfied long after you’ve finished the last tender! Also, it’s gluten free! We also decided to save you from too much sodium by limiting our salt to ½ a teaspoon to season the chicken. The pork rinds come in handy to help pack a flavor punch and also helps build that crunchy texture we love in our fried foods! Do your best to not snack on the pork rinds before you finish cooking! Trust us when we say you are going to want to save all of your pouch space with this delectable recipe.
Once we got everything evenly coated and into the air fryer, it was a matter of minutes when the smell of our seasonings amplified from the air fryer. 15 minutes felt like a lifetime and we couldn’t wait to get our hands on it! Then, next thing we knew, the fryer chimed letting us know our delicious efforts were ready to enjoy. The end result was nothing less of satisfyingly delicious. Don’t take our word for it though! Try the recipe below and see for yourself! Even the pickiest eaters are sure to love this one – we guarantee it!
- Serving: 4
- WLS Portion: 1/2
- 25g or 1/4 cup of coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 55g or 1 cup of crushed pork rinds/pork scratchings
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- 6 chicken drumsticks, thighs, breast or 500g or 1lb of chicken tender.
- We use tender for this recipe
- To make the coating mix the coconut flour with the salt and pepper in a medium shallow bowl, mixing well.
- Beat the eggs in a second shallow bowl.
- Mix the crushed pork rinds/pork scratchings in a third bowl with the paprika and garlic powder if used.
- To coat the chicken, dredge each piece in the flour mixture, dip into the egg, shake off any excess, then press lightly into the pork rind mixture to coat on all sides. Set aside until you are ready to cook.
- To cook, preheat the air fryer to 200 C/400 F for 5 minutes. Arrange the coated chicken in the air fryer basket in a single layer and cook for about 15-30 minutes until thoroughly cooked and crispy. See details above about cooking times according to size and how to cook in the conventional oven. Cook in batches if necessary and keep those cooked first warm in a low oven or under tented foil.
- Serve immediately with your chosen accompaniments, or allow to cool, then serve as part of a lunch box meal if liked.