Tuna Cauliflower Rice Bake
Safe catch tuna rice bake
We were tired of the same old same old, so we decided to mix it up with a unique flavor profile that we don’t get to enjoy often! Tandoori dishes offer succulent, smoky, and earthy flavors to whatever protein you choose to cook with it! For this recipe, we choose Safe Catch’s Tandoori Tuna! This was an easy decision considering Safe Catch’s unbeatably low mercury levels in their canned fish, all sustainably wild caught. This dish perfectly balances easy preparation and bold flavors, two of the most important traits a recipe can have! Well, those two traits along with plenty of nutrition. Vitamin E and potassium from the bell peppers, vitamin C from the cauliflower, and plenty of lean protein from the tuna make this a well-rounded dish! You can substitute the mayonnaise for healthy fat by using avocado oil-based mayonnaise, or lower the fat content and use non-fat Greek yogurt. I substitute any type of cream with Greek yogurt whenever possible – it gives me a protein boost and minimizes my fat intake. Though beware of the slightly sour flavor! You may want to balance that out with a smidge of honey or any other natural sweetener. Don’t worry, it won’t come out sweet! It just neutralizes the sourness from the yogurt (which is why I normally use it as a sour cream substitution as well). Be sure to taste your ingredient mixture before adding any sweetener! The coconut milk may provide enough natural sugar to counteract the Greek yogurt, if you choose to use it. Otherwise, proceed as normal!
Now, for the ingredient list, there may be one thing listed you aren’t completely familiar with. Ever heard of arrowroot powder? It’s often used in gluten-free/paleo cooking for a friendly flour alternative. It can also replace cornstarch to thicken your soups and sauces, or dust it over your favorite air-fried vegetables for a crisp exterior. The only thing worse than having to hunt down an uncommon ingredient, is only using it once! But with all of its uses, I definitely think this ingredient is worthy of a spot in your pantry! You can find it at your local Asian market or organic food store.
When combining ingredients, don’t throw out the juice from the Tuna! A lot of that zesty Tandoori is located in the liquid, so we don’t want to lose any of it!
After that, you have a delicious, low carb dish ready in 30 minutes! We hope you enjoy!
- 1/4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup full fat canned coconut milk (shake well before opening)
- 1 tablespoons cashew butter
- 1/2 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups raw cauliflower rice
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 cans Safe Catch Tandoori Tuna
- Juice of 1 lime
- Preheat oven 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine mayonnaise, coconut milk, cashew butter, arrowroot powder, garlic powder, ground ginger, ground cumin, cinnamon, salt and pepper. Whisk until combined.
- Add in cauliflower rice, bell peppers, Safe Catch Tuna (with its liquid) and lime juice. Stir to combine evenly.
- Pour the whole mixture into a loaf pan and spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 30 minutes to cook the cauliflower – till it is bubbling on the sides.