Quick. Easy. Delicious. This Cheesy Cajun Chicken recipe is a NOLA flavor explosion all packed into one bariatric serving size! With provolone cheese to complement the punchy Cajun spices, and bell pepper to add a nutritious bite to the dish, we will be surprised if this does not wind up on your monthly meal rotation!
We know that after a long day at work, the last thing you want is a labor-intensive dish that makes 12 different dirty dishes and takes over an hour to cook. For that reason, we chose ingredients that take very little to cook down, and the ease of throwing everything into one skillet was too tempting a method to pass up! And for a little razzle-dazzle – the provolone. Something about cheese just takes a dish to the next level! Unless you are a regular Gordon Ramsey in the kitchen, the longest part of the process is probably cleaning and cutting up the bell pepper! But trust us when we say it’s worth it!
As you might be able to tell, we added NO SALT to this recipe! (We’re trying to keep your cardiovascular health up too!) This is where the Cajun seasoning comes to play. A powerhouse of flavor, you will not miss the absence of some added sodium! If you do want to ensure the chicken really takes in the tasty flavors of the seasonings, try sprinkling the seasonings over the chicken and setting aside while you prep the bell peppers. You would be surprised to find how big of a difference that small change makes! The end result is a much deeper, bold flavor. Try it!
Once everything is seasoned, cleaned and cut, you will have a hot and tasty meal ready in the blink of an eye! A wonderfully filling dinner and a meal that reheats well for a super satisfying lunch, we hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
- Serving: 3
- 3 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tbsp of Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp of dried oregano
- 2 tsp of garlic powder
- 1/3 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/3 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup of white onion, thinly sliced
- 6 slices of provolone cheese
- (optional) parsley for garnish
- Slice chicken into half-inch strips.
- Place strips into a container or a bowl and add dry ingredients (Cajun seasoning, dry oregano, and garlic powder) to coat slices.
- Mix the chicken and dry ingredients until all strips are evenly coated. Place aside and take a large clean skillet and place it on the stovetop.
- Pour olive oil into skillet. Coat the inside of the skillet with the oil and put the heat on high.
- Once the oil begins to heat, place the coated chicken strips into the skillet and evenly distribute the strips.
- Cook chicken until the meat is less pink. Reduce heat to medium-high heat. Add the diced white onion and allow cooking to continue until onions are transparent.
- Once the onions are translucent, add the assortment of sliced tricolor bell peppers and stir until peppers are tender.
- Reduce heat to low-medium. Add provolone cheese slices on top of chicken and vegetable mixture. Place a lid over to retain heat and allow for cheese to melt. Keep an eye on your food to make sure the cheese melts but that the chicken does not dry out.
- Turn the heat off once the cheese has melted. Take the skillet off the heat to reduce further cooking and serve immediately.
- Plate and sprinkle hand crushed parley over chicken and vegetables.