Avocado Lime Omelet, Bariatric Friendly Breakfast Recipe
Remember those continental breakfasts at hotels? And how sometimes they’d have an omelet cart with a (usually) smiling staff member ready to fry up your favorite omelet. Always the veggie fiend, I’d ask for so many vegetables that it was nearly impossible for the staff member to flip it! My omelet always turned into an egg veggie scramble. Which, isn’t necessarily a bad thing. But something about an expertly folded omelet just adds to the dining experience!
This recipe is perfectly balanced with just the right amount of vegetables to add flavor, but not to the point where your egg disintegrates into a jumbled mess. You also want to keep the veggie servings in check so that this stays bariatric friendly with your portion size.
Onion, bell pepper, and avocado make for a delicious avocado with a south-of-the-border flavor profile, so you can enjoy this with a side of salsa, or just add a dash of Frank’s Red Hot Sauce on top! Without the salsas, you get an omelet that’s light, fluffy, and creamy (thanks to the mashed avocado), but still with an excellent bite thanks to those veggies cooked to perfection.
Now, you might be thinking “the flavor is all fine and dandy, but how the heck do I flip this thing?!” Yes, it’s true – omelet flipping can be a stressful sport. But here’s an insider tip – use a rubber scraper! You know, that kitchen utensil you use to scrape the last remnants of cake batter into the dish? That one! The edges are smooth so the omelet won’t stick, but it’s bendy just enough so that the omelet won’t break along the edge like it might when you use a spatula. Now in this video, we have a professional omelet flipper who did it in a cinch, but if you aren’t as experienced, definitely try that out and let us know! We cooked ours to a crispy golden color, but if you like yours closer to the yellow side of the spectrum, go for it! This omelet is yours to customize and enjoy. Share your omelets with us on social! We can’t wait to see your eggy creations!
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup diced onion
- Diced bell pepper to taste (1-2 tbsp)
- 1/4 diced avocado
- 1 lime wedge for garnish
- Frank’s Red Hot Sauce to taste
- Aged cheddar
- In a small, non-stick pan, lightly coat the bottom with nonstick spray.
- Add the diced onions, bell pepper, and sauté. Season with a bit of salt, until golden.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs until beaten. Season with a pinch of salt and half of the avocado.
- Mix the egg and half of the avocado together until you’ve reached your desired texture – anywhere from creamy to chunky.
- Add onions and chilies to the egg mixture and stir well.
- Lightly coat the bottom of the pan with nonstick spray and pour in the egg mixture.
- Cook until lightly golden and the base is solid, then flip to cook the other side.
- Slide omelet onto a plate, garnish with remaining half of avocado and lime wedge.